Saturday, August 20, 2011

Zucchini Eggplant Lasagna

I found this recipe from Peas and Thank You, a wonderful blog about vegan family cooking. I un-veganized it with ground turkey and real cheese.
Here are the ingredients I used

 
Sliced zucchini and eggplant, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Next time I will try to get the eggplant thinner.



Cook the quinoa with chicken broth, tomato sauce, onions and pizza seasoning (I used that instead of oregano). I also skipped the cream cheese and fresh parsley, because I didn't have any.
Saute more onions, I love onions!
Cook the ground turkey with the onions, this is an add on to the recipe, I think it makes the dish heartier. I also added some pizza seasoning here, I love it, use it for everything.
Tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan, and a layer of eggplant slices.
Quinoa is done cooking, yummo! I will probably make just this as a quick easy side in the future.
Mix the quinoa mixture with ground turkey and chopped fresh basil.
On top of eggplant, spread some turkey quinoa mixture, sprinkle some frozen chopped spinach, some shredded mozzarella cheese, and some tomato sauce.
A layer of zucchini. Then repeat the filling layer.
After the 2nd filling layer, I put the remaining eggplant and zucchini. Next time I might put this in the middle, so I have a pretty all zucchini layer on top. But it all tastes the same in the end.
Tomato sauce and cheese on top.
I had enough left over to make a bread pan sized batch, which went straight into the freezer uncooked.
Baked at 400, for about 30 mins.
Delish!!
I love this recipe. The eggplant on the top layer turned out a little tough, that's my fault for cutting it too thick. Next time I will try it with out the turkey to see if it is equally satisfying. We ate off of that large pan for 3 days, Austin was eating full servings of it as well, he loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment